[Asterisk-Users] What business IP phone to use

The VoIP Connection asterisk-biz at thevoipconnection.com
Tue Feb 21 22:53:50 MST 2006

There's lots to like about the GXP-2000 in terms of features for the money
and Grandstream is working very hard to make the phone work well with
Asterisk. The sound is on a par with more expensive phones and many people
find the clean, minimalist look of the GXP-2000 appealing. The ergonomics
are also very familiar for Americans.  Again, personal taste factors into
the mix as does budget.  Some people can't just stand rubber buttons, some
don't like plastic.

We have been watching the Aastra line for about two years now waiting for
the firmware to be ready for primetime and we are currently in the process
of adding them to our catalog. They are certainly a capable group and we
have also found them to be easy to deal with.  The reality is that they are
a little late to the game with a viable offering and they have some catching
up to do, but their progress is encouraging.

The 941/942 are very nice phones. They are well made and so far the firmware
seems very solid, but like their Cisco brethren they are a little expensive
for what they offer in my opinion.  If they were 25-30% cheaper I would be a
lot more enthusiastic.  If the 941 was priced like the 841 it would be a
homerun.

Polycom,like most of the higher end manufacturers, supports the user through
their channel. If you buy your phones from a cut-rate or unauthorized
reseller you will not get good support. Factor it into your decision making
process.

And finally, you don't need to fly to a trade show to try a variety of
phones.  If you contact us we can set you up with a 30 day test program.

Michael Crown
Managing Partner
www.thevoipconnection.com
321.989.6728 ext. 611