[Asterisk-Users] What business IP phone to use

Saul Diaz saul at cripiland.com
Tue Feb 21 14:27:52 MST 2006

The VoIP Connection wrote:

>I have used every phone and talk to customers using different devices all
>day long and I can tell you there is no single IP phone that is perfect for
>everyone.  You will not find the answer on a newsgroup or a wiki, you need
>to judge for yourself. For example, while I may love the decidedly "euro"
>ergonomics of the snom, you may find it impossibly unconventional.
>
>We have lots of customers who are very happy with their GXP-2000's as well
>as a number who are not.  It depends on how they are being used (especially
>LAN or WAN) as well as the firmware version and networking environment.
>
>We also have many customers who love their Polycoms and there is no doubt
>that they build a quality product. They aren't cheap but they don't
>disappoint. By the way, Polycom officially supports Asterisk through
>certified resellers as of October 2005.
>
>Snoms are great also but they seem to be having some trouble getting the
>version 5.0 firmware stable.  If you can live with the features in V4.x for
>a while, these phones are terrific.  Probably the best overall integration
>with Asterisk of any IP phone currently available.
>
>Aastra seems to be getting it together at last and also are worthy of
>consideration.
>
>I sell phones for a living and here's what I recommend: First, select a
>reliable and competent vendor who will work with you (shameless plug for The
>VoIP Connection). Talk to them and narrow the field to a sampling of the
>phones you think will work for your organization.  Set up a test scenario
>that simulates the network environment you will have and learn how to set
>the phones up with Asterisk (and vice-versa) so that they work the way they
>should.  Learn how to use the features well enough to teach them (if you
>can't explain the basic operation of the phone in 5 minutes forget it), and
>then put them in front of a sampling of the people who will use them every
>day. Pay special attention to your receptionist and office manager since
>they will be the ones you will hear from the most. There really is no
>shortcut if you want your users to be happy.
>
>Michael Crown
>Managing Partner
>www.thevoipconnection.com
>321.989.6728 ext. 611
>sip:611 at voiceserver.thevoipconnection.com

 From my point of view..

we tried grandstream 101/102 and the GXP 2000, we tried sipuras,
polycoms and cisco..

and definitelly i put my bet for the polycoms.. now the GXP 2000 at his
new prices probably will be a good answer, before at the same price that
the polycoms don't have anything to do...

budgetone don't ever bother.... u spend more time in support that his
price. so at the long run u don't save anything. there are fine when u
have 1 or 2.. but mass deployment :D that's another history...

sipura 841 the only issue for me the spearker phone.. they are super
stables  but not to be used in a callcenter, they trend to brake.. i
still think that an analog phone buy in what ever is better in
callcenters that every other phone, but for have one in 1 office that
don't need to use that much the speaker phone are super.

cisco they are fine.. i still prefer polycoms.

regards
Saul