[Asterisk-Users] how to add stun functionality in asterisk

Chris Bagnall asterisk at minotaur.cc
Tue Feb 21 13:00:07 MST 2006

> What's the benefit of using stund vs nat=yes in your sip.conf
> for that device?  I haven't had any issues behind firewalls
> when I enable that option, and no ports are needed to be opened.

For some strange reason, even with nat=yes sometimes when a user's IP
changes, the phone doesn't realise it and sends another SIP refresh.
Asterisk promptly ignores it since there's no registration from that IP.

With stun, the phone realises it's IP has changed and sends an invite to
asterisk rather than a refresh.

I could be wrong, but using stun seems to have improved the nat-related
issues some of our customers have had with their home-based phones no end.

Regards,

Chris