[Asterisk-Users] Application Faxing using SIP

Lee Howard faxguy at howardsilvan.com
Mon Feb 20 13:37:34 MST 2006

Jerry Jones wrote:

> Turning ECM seems to cause most of my issues with FAX. Most newer
> machines have this on by default. However if there is any packet
> loss, then when ECM tries to resend and there is additional loss,
> then it gets in a loop and everything just fails. Whereas with ECM
> off, you may have an occasional extra or missing pixel, but most
> users never notice, and the speed is way faster.
> Most complaints are solved by jsut turning ECM off. Of course this
> does not necesarily help mortgage companies who seem to enjoy faxing
> 50page legal docs....

A 50-page non-ECM fax is similar to an average 20-page ECM fax in that
there are repeated sections of V.17/V.29/V.27ter modulation occuring.
That high-speed data communcation is the really sensitive part about
faxing and getting a mistaken carrier drop during that time is the thing
that kills.

If you're saying that a 50-page legal document will frequently have
troubles, then you're talking about an error ratio that most businesses
of my acquaintence would simply not tolerate.

In a typical lossless audio environtment, fax speeds with ECM should be
the same or better due to additional compression mechanisms that require
a lossless image type.  If you find that your fax speeds with ECM are
frequently slower than without ECM... or if you find that ECM fails more
frequently than non-ECM, then it would seem to indicate that the audio
corruption that is occurring before audio gets to your fax machine is
fairly severe.

Lee.