[Asterisk-Users] Call forward on unavailable timer issues

Mike Pollitt mike at limeboy.com
Sun Feb 19 20:53:29 MST 2006

I have a pretty standard setup with Asterisk acting as a PABX for a bunch of
SIP handsets (in this case, SwissVoice IP10S).

My users are complaining that when they forward their phones to their
cellphones on unavailable (i.e. forward when no-answer), their cellphone
only rings once or twice, and then Asterisk sends the call through to
Voicemail.

I'm using the standard extension Macro thus:

[macro-stdexten]

;   ${ARG1} - Extension  (we could have used ${MACRO_EXTEN} here as well

;   ${ARG2} - Device(s) to ring

;   ${ARG3} - Voicemail context

exten => s,1,Dial(${ARG2},20)                   ; Ring the interface, 20
seconds maximum

exten => s,2,Goto(s-${DIALSTATUS},1)            ; Jump based on status
(NOANSWER,BUSY,CHANUNAVAIL,CONGESTION,ANSWER)

exten => s-NOANSWER,1,Voicemail(u${ARG1}@${ARG3})       ; If unavailable,
send to voicemail w/ unavail announce

exten => s-BUSY,1,Voicemail(b${ARG1}@${ARG3})           ; If busy, send to
voicemail w/ busy announce

exten => _s-.,1,Goto(s-NOANSWER,1)              ; Treat anything else as no
answer

exten => a,1,VoicemailMain(${ARG1}@${ARG3})             ; If they press *,
send the user into VoicemailMain

Now clearly my problem is that when the Dial application gets back a
Temporarily Moved response from the SIP phone (after the user's preset
period to wait before no-answer forwarding), and drops back into the
dialplan as Local/<forwarded number>, the 20 second timer on the Dial
command is still active.

I think what I need is a way to reset or cancel this timer when a
Temporarily Moved response comes back in.

Surely this must be a fairly common problem - does anyone have a solution?

Thanks!

Mike.