[Asterisk-Users] Grandstream GXP-2000

Richard Amerman sirfifer at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 01:03:17 MST 2006

One thing to keep in mind with some of these phones is that physical quality
can not be changed easily, why software is a different matter, though no
guarantees.

I have been working with Aastra 480i's for about 14 months and at first they
were fairly limited and had many issues. This all turned out to be due to
the software being far before its time. As I understand it, and I may be
wrong, it was due to existing customer demand that it was released arguably
before its time. I came close to switching to another phone, but after the
1.3.0 firmware release, things took a serious turn.

As of last week the latest firmware has been released and things are
completely different. Everyone seems to agree that the 480i build and voice
quality is excellent. I can not say how it compares to the Polycom or other
quality phones, but with the new XML features and many other enhancements
and fixes, this phone is a serious option. I now have over 40 in operation
and everything is great. Since the two cheaper Aastra IP phones use near the
same software, I assume they are on par. I do not know about their physical
quality though.

Please see the following for more information. Join the list also if you are
even more interested.

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Aastra+480i

That said, from everything I have heard, the Polycom is one to try. I may be
very happy with the 480i and likely to continue using and recommending them
in the future, but I also intend on trying a Polycom in the near future and
likely using them as well.

Richard