[Asterisk-Users] Festival and Asterisk - different voices?

Philip Edelbrock phil at netroedge.com
Fri Feb 17 11:16:32 MST 2006

Michael Collins wrote:
> Just curious to know if anyone uses Festival with * and whether or not
> you’ve got a different voice than the default.  I’m looking at doing a
> commercial application but my boss doesn’t want to shell out the $
> before we do some real world testing of * and Festival.  Specifically,
> I’m looking for a female voice, preferably US English.

You can change the voice by editing the asterisk function.  I think you
want 'voice_cmu_us_slt_arctic_hts':

;;; Command for Asterisk begin
(define (tts_textasterisk string mode)
     "(tts_textasterisk STRING MODE)
   Apply tts to STRING.  This function is specifically designed for
   use in server mode so a single function call may synthesize the string.
   This function name may be added to the server safe functions."
; different voices, uncomment the one you want:
;(voice_cmu_us_awb_arctic_hts)
;(voice_cmu_us_bdl_arctic_hts)
;(voice_cmu_us_jmk_arctic_hts)
(voice_cmu_us_slt_arctic_hts)
;uk voices
;(voice_kal_diphone)
;(voice_ked_diphone)
       (utt.send.wave.client (utt.wave.resample (utt.wave.rescale
(utt.synth
                     (eval (list 'Utterance 'Text string))) 5) 8000)))
;;; Command for Asterisk end