[Asterisk-Users] MOH from RCA jack?

Kristian Kielhofner kris at krisk.org
Fri Feb 17 10:56:52 MST 2006

Rich Adamson wrote:
>>>Been around asterisk for two-plus years, but need a little input from the
>>>list on this topic.
>>>
>>>Have a potential client that wants to replace their old key system with *,
>>>but they want to integrate a commercial message service (they pay a monthly
>>>fee to have special MOH messages generated) into their system. The messages
>>>are essentially delivered to this customer via older generation audio
>>>equipment that interfaces to their key system via a standard audio RCA jack.
>>>(We're reseaching other alternative deliver mechanisms such as mp3's, etc,
>>>from the supplier, but have to assume for now that we need to inject MOH
>>>audio into asterisk via this RCA jack.)
>>>
>>>Does anyone have a relatively high audio quanlity method of interfacing
>>>such an external audio device into asterisk in a reliable way via an
>>>RCA jack?
>>>

>>Rich,
>>
>>	First, you will need an RCA to 1/8" cable from Radio Shack or
>>something.  Next, you will need a sound card in the machine.  USB audio
>>interfaces are cool too (and they usually have a high SN ratio).
>>
>>	Then you need to setup a custom MOH class and use arecord:
>>
>>http://linuxcommand.org/man_pages/arecord1.html
>>
>>	I haven't done this, but I was intrigued by your question and thought
>>I'd look into it.  Let us know how it turns out!
>

> The usb audio interface sounds very cool! Have you played with any
> that has a line-in jack or have any specific device recommendations?
>
> (Wondering now if such a device could be made to work as an asterisk
> overhead paging system cabled to an amplifier, etc.)

Rich,

	I had one a while back that worked fine.  I think it was someting for a
mac called iMic by Griffin.  It worked with ALSA under Linux.

P.S. - You need ALSA to use arecord anyways :).

	Looking at the other posts, it really looks like this would be the
best, most direct solution...

--
Kristian Kielhofner