[Asterisk-Users] SOLVED - Channel bank woes - no outbound calls

James Texter james.texter at cox.net
Thu Feb 16 19:13:07 MST 2006

Thanks to the great support at Rhino Equipment and Digium, this has
finally been solved.  I wanted to post the solution back to the list in
case anyone else is having a similiar issue.

I started by calling Rhino support so I could eliminate channel bank
configuration as the issue.  We were able to determine the channel bank
and signalling were all working as expected.  I then began to monitor
the analog POTS line while attempting to place a call.  When I did this,
I noticed that the DTMF tones were coming through very short and
choppy.  So, I tried setting toneduration=250 in zapata.conf.  Now,
instead of getting the "Your call did not go through." message I was
getting "Your call could not be completed as dialed" operator intercept
message.  I monitored the line again, and this time, I found I could
hear the first digit quite well, but the other 6 digits were coming
through stuttered.   At this point, I contacted Digium support.

Digium connected to the box, and placed a few test calls to get some
debug information.  Then, they ended up changing a line in wct4xxp.c of
the zaptel branch, recompiling, and trying again.  Lo and behold, calls
have now begun to complete without issue.  To resolve this issue, you
need to find the line in wct4xxp.c that looks like the following:

static int vpmdtmfsupport = 1;

Change this to

static int vpmdtmfsupport = 0;

According to Digium support, this moves the playing of the DTMF's from
hardware to software.  Once that change was made, I have not had any
other issues.

Thanks,

James

James Texter wrote:

So, I'm still having this problem with outbound calls not working when using a channel bank.  I've purchased a Rhino FXO channel bank from VoIPSupply.com to make sure it wasn't an equipment problem.  I am using a Digium TE411P card, and have simplified it down to just 1 port plugged into the channel bank, with just 1 analog line plugged in.  If I place an inbound call on the line, it goes through just fine.  However, if I attempt an outbound call, I get "Your call did not go through.  Please try your call again."  After much experimenting, I found out this happens if you dial some digits, but not enough for a full phone number.  My zaptel.conf looks like:

span=1,0,0,esf,b8zs
fxsks=1
loadzone=us
defaultzone=us

And my zapata.conf looks like:
[channels]
usecallerid=yes
hidecallerid=no
callwaiting=no
threewaycalling=no
transfer=no
echocancel=no

; define channels
group=1
context=from-pstn
signalling=fxs_ks
channel => 1

And finally, extensions.conf looks like:
[from-pstn]
exten => 6080,1,Answer()
exten => 6080,2,Playback(hello-world)
exten => 6080,3.Hangup()

[internal]
exten => 5148346,1,Dial(Zap/g1/514836)

Anybody out there have any ideas on why all of the digits aren't being sent out?

Thanks,

James