[Asterisk-Users] FXO port on TDM400P hangs!!

Rich Adamson radamson at routers.com
Thu Feb 16 06:44:30 MST 2006

> This is a message I've sent before on Sunday, no one replied so I'm
> reposting it (guess not everyone's at work 7/7)
>
> I've got this really annoying and beyond-my-knowledge-to-debug problem. The
> line connected to my FXO port gets marked "out of order" by my telco
> operator. I don't know how to explain this further. If I dial my own number
> from a different phone I get a message "the called number is out of order".
>
> This is only rarely happening (twice on Sunday, once today) but when it does
> happen the * requires a reboot! The worst part is that we usually find of
> this problem from a customer calling our other number or a mobile saying the
> main number can't be reached!
>
> If anyone has any idea where to look or what to look for in the log files,
> please advice. If anyone has any workaround for this problem, again, please
> advice.
>
> At the moment I'm working on a really ugly solution: I'm planning to create
> a call file once every 5 minutes and have * call the hanging number from the
> other number. If the call makes it back to the * I'll set a global var. If
> the call doesn't make it back to * the global var will not get set and, when
> the Dial command times out, I'll know it's time to System(/sbin/reboot)!
> Unfortunately this is really ugly and I'm not sure I'll be able to make it
> work, but I will try!

If the suggestions that have already been posted don't work, then I'd
suggest running ethereal (or whatever your favorite packet capture utility
happens to be), and using the resulting trace to see what is happening on
the wire. You should be able to see a hangup if the issue is coming from
asterisk, or if the issue is coming from his phone, etc.

If you do this, do a capture filter on his phone's mac address, and post
(or send me directly) the last hundred or so packets from the trace.