[Asterisk-Users] iax2 trunking known problems?

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Feb 16 06:24:37 MST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 14:58 +0200, yusuf wrote:
> also doing IAX2 trunking.  What do yuo mean you dont run asterisk out of
> the box.  Also want to know what is you bandwith usage for 100 calls and
> g729

I run a modified version of asterisk.  There are a few things that I
felt needed to be added, changed, deleted, etc.

With SIP I am using about 2.25Mbps for 100 calls.  Asteriskguru.com's
bandwidth calculator said that would be 2.3Mbps so its really close to
what I saw.  There are a variety of reasons why I averaged lower, but
still less than 3% difference is very close and acceptable.

With iax2 trunking asteriskguru.com's bandwidth calculator said that it
should drop to about 0.8Mbps or about 1/3 that of SIP for that codec.
That is a considerable savings and doesnt count the savings on the ATM
layer (about 500kbps because of the 8 byte trailer per packet sent) not
does it count a few other things.  All in all its enough to justify
playing with it to see if it works with this load.

I was just concerned becuase I recall someone saying they had problems
with > 20 calls trunked, although I didnt pay attention at the time and
didnt catch the details.  Zoa said that 60 per trunk works, or did for
him, so that certainly counters what I remember being said not that long
ago on this list.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378