[Asterisk-Users] Meetme echo cancellation

SteveK stevek at stevek.com
Tue Feb 14 06:48:32 MST 2006

On Feb 9, 2006, at 11:19 AM, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> Steven Langley wrote:
>
>> I am using IAX2 softphones dialing into a meetme conference. In my
>> softphone
>> I was forcing uses to click on a button when they wanted to speak,
>> enabling
>> their microphone and disabling their speakers. This way when a
>> user was
>> speaking they did not hear their voice half a second later
>> (because meetme
>> mixes the voice and sends to everyone in the conference).
>
> This is wrong. app_meetme does not send the speaker's own voice
> back to
> them, because the mixing in Zaptel removes it for the speaker's
> channel
> in the conference.

This is correct, but the other participant's softphones will get the
speaker's voice, and if they are in the conference, they will echo
the speaker's voice back to the conference.

The solution is echo cancellation in each participant's call.  In the
case of softphones, the softphones themselves would be the place to
do echo cancellation.

-SteveK