[Asterisk-Users] segmentation fault

Sascha sascha.deri at altenergystore.com
Mon Feb 13 11:41:13 MST 2006

I had the same problem when I did an SVN of the latest version of the
1.2 branch this past Friday (2/10) and re-made zaptel, libpri and
asterisk.  I don't if someone goofed when updating the supposed stable
Asterisk 1.2 branch or what. But here's what I did to fix it...

I'm using Asterisk at Home. To get back to a working system I first made
a backup of everything through the AMP interface. I made backups of my
zaptel.conf and zapata.conf files to a separate location. Then, I
downloaded the tar version of AAH 2.5 (instead of the ISO). I followed
the instructions to untar and install AAH.  Because AAH doesn't really
have a 100% working restore feature, what I had to do was:
1) go ahead and use the restore function in the AMP interface -
restoring the backup I had just made.
2) Go through every single configuration window within the AMP interface
and click 'submit' to re-apply the settings one by one. This really only
takes like 10 minutes.
3) Then I clicked the red bar along the top to apply the change in settings.
4) In the process of installing itself, AAH will blow away your
zaptel.conf and zapata.conf files that you spent so long just getting
right. That's why you made backup copies of those to another directory.
;)   Restore those files manually.
5) In order to get my T1 actually functioning I had to not only shutdown
the server but pull the plug on it for a few minutes and then plug it
back in/hit the on button.

Not sure if you're using AAH as well - but hope this helps someone else
who ended up in the same position as I did late Friday night.

Best of Luck,
Sascha

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 10:02:28 -0500, Patrick Fortin wrote:

> Hi
>
> Asterisk died this morning with this message
>
> safe_asterisk: line 83:  6828 Segmentation fault      (core dumped)
> asterisk ${CLIARGS} ${ASTARGS} 1>&/dev/${TTY} </dev/${TTY}
>
> Any idea what is the problem ?

You should post this on the bugtracker (bugs.digium.com) along with a
back trace.  See asterisk-sources/doc/README.backtrace for info on how
to do a backtrace.

          Justin Tunney