[Asterisk-Users] PrivacyManager Broken?

John Novack jnovack at stromberg-carlson.org
Mon Feb 13 09:04:41 MST 2006

Jeremy G. Gault wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>I am running into some problems here with PrivacyManager.  We used to use it without any issue, but now there seems to be several problems.
>
>We are currently running Asterisk 1.2.4.
>
>First, it seems that if the user does not press the pound (#) key after entering their number, PrivacyManager will fail.  I have the minlength set to 10, and entering 10 digits doesn't work.  Entering 11 digits doesn't either.  But entering 10 followed by the pound key will.
>
>Second, once the user figures out how to operate PrivacyManager, there's another problem: My extension rings to a SIP extension (Polycom IP phone) and a Zap extension (we have a 4-port card with 4 different extensions on it -- one of which is my cordless phone.)
>
>On the cordless phone (through the Zap channel) the caller ID shows
>"Privacy Manager" along with the user-specified number.  However, on the IP phone, it simply shows "unknown"
>
>Is this just us, or is PrivacyManager not working correctly anymore?
>Any help would be appreciated.
>
>		Jeremy

Has it EVER worked correctly?
 From the Wiki and my experience with 1.2b1, if the callerid number
isn't a number, but a word ( such as asterisk ) it doesn't even come
into play, acting as if there were a valid phone number.  The Wiki had a
"fix" that again according to the Wiki, fixes that problem but breaks
the callerid name
IMO, Privacy manager should come into play if the callerid number field
doesn't contain a string of digits, or, even better, a string of digits
of a length that can be specified, all without breaking the callerid
name..Replacing any callerID name delivered with "privacymanager" seems
unnecessary.

John Novack