[Asterisk-Users] configure TE205P on asterisk@home

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.biz
Sun Feb 12 01:58:38 MST 2006

Nik,

Start here:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+Zap+channels

It will give you some background info.  Also, be sure to learn the
difference between zaptel.conf and Zapata.conf.  It took me two weeks to
realize what each one does:
Zaptel.conf handles the lower-level stuff like framing, coding,
clocking, and line build out.  Here's a sample from the wiki for a PRI
setup:
   span=1,1,0,esf,b8zs
   bchan=1-23
   dchan=24

Lookup the span syntax here:
http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Zaptel.conf+span+syntax
The zaptel.conf file basically just tells your Linux box that you've got
a T1 card installed and here are the settings for each span.  You'll
also need to learn about ztcfg, zttool and modprobe.  These help you get
the zaptel driver loaded and configured.

Once you get this stuff handled then you'll need to work on Zapata.conf,
which is what tells Asterisk how to handle the zap spans.  This file has
the potential to be much more complicated because there are so many
possible scenarios.  However, I learned a lot by taking the time to
study the syntax and comments of the Zapata.conf.sample found in the
/configs folder of the Asterisk source.  Doing so helped me set up a PRI
(23B + D) and also a CAS span to my NEC NEAX2400.

I highly recommend investing the time to read the info I've pointed out
and also tinkering with the hardware.  It really is the best way to
learn all this stuff.  And keep asking questions on the list!

-MC