[Asterisk-Users] RE: Asterisk Logger - urgent!!!

Michael Collins mcollins at fcnetwork.biz
Sat Feb 11 23:55:03 MST 2006

Kevin,

I agree with your assessment of the preference of using fprintf()
instead of sprintf() + write() + maybe malloc().  After hearing your
candid explanation it makes perfect sense not to pursue this.  I've only
been playing with * for two months, so I'm still gathering my bearings.
As for my C skills- I must admit that it's been many years since I did
any real work with C or C++.  (I've been side-tracked with Visual Studio
projects and using Perl to get data flowing in a very OS-heterogonous
environment.)  On top of that, I've been busy learning to use * and I'm
just now starting to dive into the considerable amount of * source code.

However, I wouldn't be so quick to stifle ideas - even "bad" ones.
Everyone who read this thread now knows that making * do the
administrative work is not only impractical, but now they have ample
information as to _why_ it is impractical.  All ideas have some value,
even if they represent how not to do something.  Besides, occasionally
an idea starts out small and turns big.  After all, didn't some guy
named Mark have an idea to get dial tone out of a computer to save some
money on a phone system?  Who knew that the idea of dial-tone-in-a-box
would spark a telephony revolution?  :-)

-MC