[Asterisk-Users] TE411P Really Bad Echo

Stagg Shelton asterisk at oneringnetworks.com
Sat Feb 11 07:15:37 MST 2006

Yes, right now we are only using span 1 on the quad span card with plans
to pull in another T1 PRI when we get this echo problem solved.  The
echo is only experienced when the call terminates to traditional analog
circuits both local and long distance.  Calls to cell phones, and other
known digital circuits do not exhibit the symptoms.  I've been sent a
few articles off list which discussed the reasons why this may occur,
imperfect impedance where the digital circuit is switched to the analog
circuit.

In testing I've set echocancel=no made calls, and echocancel=yes and
made calls with no real audible difference.  I haven't done a zap show
channel while on a call with echo, but I plan to this weekend.  I was
informed that the number of taps would be shown.  I used a stop watch
last night to try to get the delay, and it was about 1/2 to 1 second
delay and was continual so long as I was talking.  It wasn't affected by
differing acoustical variations.  I tested this using handset, headset,
and speakerphone.  Disabling VPM and recompiling zaptel or removing the
VPM off the board completely is the only thing that has any effect on
the echo.  Hopefully the zap show channel will provide to me another
data point to help me determine if the HW module is active.

More to come...

Stagg Shelton
www.oneringnetworks.com