[Asterisk-Users] T1 Channel splitting PRI/data not working

Mark Farver mfarver at ticom.com
Fri Feb 10 09:51:59 MST 2006

I'll keep asking weird questions here:

I have two T1 WAN circuits originating at my asterisk box and
terminating at Asterisk servers at remote sites.  Currently I use zaptel
ppp assigned to all 24 channels for data.  Now I would like to split off
a few of these channels for voice trunks (I should use VOIP, but at the
moment I do not have fast enough servers for the codecs)

At one site the split work perfectly, with 8 channels for voice and 16
for data. Oddly enough the second site, using the exact same asterisk
configuration (I just imaged the disks and am using the same hardware),
doesn't work if the channels are split (the PRI and the PPP fail to come
up) but does work if all 24 channels are assigned to PRI or data.

I've always suspected this T1 line has some problem (large data
transfers occasionally timeout, and I sometimes catch packet loss under
high load), but I don't have any good ways of testing it.  The phone
company tests to their smartjacks and claims everything is great, but
the smartjack is a long way from the equipment and I don't trust the guy
that did the wiring too much.  This line was once used for a frame relay
circuit and repurposed, whereas the working line was installed as a bare
point to point circuit from the start.

Two questions, is there a way using the zaptel hardware to view T1 line
errors and the like?  Or is there anytime else that could cause it to
work as a whole connection but not channelized?  (Something weird like
channels not having the same number on each end..I wouldn't think that
was possible)

Only other idea I have is to find a T1 BERT and test the line.

--/etc/zaptel.conf--
#Span 1  T1 to Building 1 (This way works)
span=1,0,0,esf,b8zs
clear=1-24

#Span 1  T1 to Building 1 (This doesn't work)
#span=1,0,0,esf,b8zs
#clear=1-8
#bchan=7-23
#dchan=24