[Asterisk-Users] What ATA should I buy?

Ron Senykoff rsenykoff at harrislogic.com
Thu Feb 9 10:44:35 MST 2006

> >I have running * without any Digium (or any other) hardware. Now I need to
> connect analog FAX machine to it. I think that cheapest and easiest way is
> to buy ATA. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Since you have no Digium hardware (and thus no connection to POTS or
PRI)... are you routing your phone calls via VoIP? If so, it is not
recommended to run FAX via VoIP. The two don't mix. FAX is not able to
handle packet loss like VoIP. Also, any codec other than uLaw will not
even come close to working, as the codecs are designed to compress
voice.

HTH,
-Ron