[Asterisk-Users] Polycom IP501 with Asterisk - distinctive ring?

Andrew Kohlsmith akohlsmith-asterisk at benshaw.com
Thu Feb 9 08:49:08 MST 2006

This is my first foray into SIP telephony, so be gentle.  :-)

The Polycom SoundPoint IP 501 phones have been fantastic so far.  I still have
a lot to learn when it comes to them, but the manual seems pretty extensive
and so far Asterisk has been playing well with them.

I have a need to be able to identify incoming calls based on some factor
(could be time of day, caller ID, dialed number, it doesn't matter.) --
Assuming Asterisk can differentiate between the calls I want, how do I inform
the IP501?  There are "only" three line appearances -- I can't simply just
ring a different appearance since there aren't enough of them.

Is there a way to get Asterisk to tell the IP501 to use a different ring, put
something up on the display, *something* on a dynamic basis?  The wiki
doesn't seem to have a lot of information about this kind of thing.

example:  I am using the first two appearances for shared lines, and the third
for my own two-way extension.  I'd like the phone to be able to tell me
(different ring, something on the display, both?) that an incoming call was
for customer service (ring ring), sales (woop woop), my wife
(ah-wooooooh-gah), a non-business-related contract caller (beep beep), that
my laundry is done (buzz), you name it..  Assuming I have the dialplan
correctly differentiating between these types of calls, how do I get the
phone to notify me in different ways?

-A.