[Asterisk-Users] Asterisk with USB

Joseph Tanner joseph at thetechguide.com
Wed Feb 8 08:52:24 MST 2006

Actually, there is such a thing as a usb headset for a cellphone.  My
Razr V3 only has a mini-usb connection, used for data, charging, and
apparently voice if you want a wired headset.  It may be possible to
rig up a driver for THIS phone, but I doubt anyone will bother, since
this phone has bluetooth also.

Then again, after more testing I think that there's some interference
caused if a second phone is powered on and you're using the bluetooth
connection to interface to asterisk.  Made some calls yesterday while
on the road, but were full of static (just like when I place test
calls from home).  Got home, and noticed a second cellphone had been
left on.  Seems that the cellphone works fine with the bluetooth
dongle, as long as there is not a second phone turned on (the second
phone is also a razr, but bluetooth was off).  Two cellphones calling
each other directly have no static.  A direct usb connection to
asterisk might be beneficial in THIS case, but as there aren't many
phones that have a usb connection for a headset, I doubt it'd be
practical (and still may not be possible, I'm not sure how the usb
headset works, maybe it sends the signal digitally using a usb
standard, or just uses some of the pins in the usb jack in a
non-standard way).

Joseph Tanner