[Asterisk-Users] Opinions needed on call quality vs network latency

Michaël Gaudette michael.gaudette at virtutel.ca
Tue Feb 7 13:27:58 MST 2006

Hi,

I am checking out the quality at a few vendors, and althought I know it
doesn`t totally reflect call quality I am using ping as a cheap subsitute to
having a real VoIP testing system

The question I have is this one: given that one service gives me a 80ms ping
(pretty consistantly) and another one gives me 30ms (again very
consistently), is this 50ms difference enough to impact perceived call
quality?

Or will the quality be impossible to differenciate, and I should choose
based on some other criteria? (customer service, price, etc)

The thing is I can`t really see a difference myself, but I am told that my
hearing isn`t that great so I should judge based on that.

While I`m here, might as well ask this: is there a decent call quality
software available that i could use to give me perceived quality metrics?

Mike