[Asterisk-Users] BAD/GOOD Echo Cancel

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Tue Feb 7 07:55:50 MST 2006

Rich Adamson wrote:

>>>More than that, in their fine print some only claim to pass maybe two or
>>>three of the tests. There is nothing that defines what you must achieve
>>>before you can claim G.168-2002 compliance.
>>>

>>Well, isn't that just wonderful :-) Standards are amazing things, from a
>>marketing perspective :-)
>>

>And the corollary to that is... How far can "marketing" stretch the truth
>before it becomes a lie?

That's easy: when it starts echoing.  ;-)  (Or, rather, when it starts
echoing in conditions that the specs say echo shouldn't occur under --
eg., taking into account length of the tail, etc.)

However, while I may have been wrong (I now know that G.168 is a spec,
not an algorithm -- no doubt something I mis-understood while talking to
my friend), I can state that the Sangoma card has really, truly made all
the echo, clipping, and other issues I'd had simply vanish.  I can
scream into the phone, I can whisper... it's beautiful.  And this is
calling people where, w/o EC, I had horrible echo.  (For some reason, my
Verizon cell phone's VM -- not the phone itself -- had INCREDIBLE echo.
*gone*)

So, put me down as a satisfied customer.  And, no, I'm not taking
kickbacks.  ;-)

-Ken