[Asterisk-Users] BAD/GOOD Echo Cancel

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Mon Feb 6 14:32:38 MST 2006

Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:

> They use the G.168-2002 algorithm; I, personally, had never heard of it
> before, but I bounced it off a friend of mine (he's a hardware architect
> for a major VoIP switch manufacturer -- they sell to places like Time
> Warner), and he was of the opinion that G.168 is the _ONLY_ algorithm.

You might want to do some research before making statements like that...
G.168 is a set of recommendations of characteristics that an echo
canceler implementation should provide, and a set of tests designed to
determine whether an implementation is compliant with the
recommendations. The current recommendations were released in 2004.

G.168 is _not_ an algorithm, so your friend must have a slight
misunderstanding of the situation. There are many (dozens, maybe
hundreds) of implementations out there claiming to be G.168 compliant,
but most of them have not been tested by a third party to verify those
claims.