[Asterisk-Users] Help on queues

Johann johann.hoehn at ecommerce.com
Mon Feb 6 13:56:46 MST 2006

See below...

Zach A wrote:
> I need practical examples showing solutions to various solutions, e.g.
> how can a caller leave a queue and go back to the main menu instead of
> hanging up and redialing,

extensions.conf:

[menu]
exten => s,1,Background(menu-message)
exten => 1,1,Queue(aqueue,,,,300)
exten => 2,1,Queue(someotherqueue,,,,300)
exten => t,1,Goto(s,1)

Above is a very simple approach.  Plays the menu and has options for 1 and 2.
Both enter queues and have a timeout option of 300 seconds (if they dont get
anywhere).  The timeout extension plays the menu again and is hit if they
timeout of a queue and if they fail to hit an option.  There is nothing to force
the call to be hung up so use with caution for calls you pay for(or add checks
to force a call to be hung up after a certain time or after X amount of menus
prompts have been played).

Look at the output of "show application queue" for more information or read the
wiki.

> or how can a queue be started for an
> extension, i.e. if 3-4 callers dial 201 and 201 is busy, instead of
> sending calls to voice mails, start a queue and let them wait in queue.

Afaik, you can not dynamically create queues.  So every extension that wants to
have a queue will need to have it defined in queues.conf (or use a few queues
and try to keep track of which extension they are going to be used for).  You
can however dynamically add and remove members from a queue.  In asterisk
members of a queue are people that would get answer the call.  Below is a very
simple example with the extension 123 on a SIP phone.  Depending on how your SIP
phone treats calls this may not work well(ie if it does not return busy for
additional incoming calls).

extensions.conf:

[staff]
exten => 123,Queue(personalqueue)

In your queues.conf file have:

[personalqueue]
member => SIP/123

The phone SIP/123, is always a member of personalqueue.  Calls to staff are
handled by the staff context(or whatever you named it) that simply put the
caller into the queue.  If the person is available they call will ring them
right away, if not then they wait with music on hold.  There are lots of options
and plenty of documentation in the wiki and source for the config files to see
all the options that were left off.

These are very simply examples and may not work in all cases and will likely
need more added depending on what you want to do with them...

--johann