[Asterisk-Users] TDM421p: Noisy FXS problem

Robert E. Griffith asterisk at junga.com
Mon Feb 6 11:40:58 MST 2006

I have a new asterisk server (details and conf files below) with a TDM421p
(2 fxs (phone), 1 fxo (pstn)).

Noisy FXS lines. (analog phones connected to TDM400 fxs modules)

On the fxs lines there is a low static hiss all the time. For example, if I
pickup and press any key to break the dial tone, I hear the hiss. It
continues whether I make an internal call or call out using the pstn line on
the fxo module.  It is useable, but it is a lot worse that connecting the
phone to my pstn directly. I have tried multiple phones. What should I
expect?

Q1: Can (should) the clarity of the TDM21p fxs line be as good as a (not so
good) pstn line?

Q2: Will the noise on the line be affected by any parameters in the
zaptel.conf or Zapata.conf files? I did not see any that seems to be
related.

Thanks,

--BobG