[Asterisk-Users] Some feedback and issues on using chan_bluetooth

Joseph Tanner joseph at thetechguide.com
Mon Feb 6 05:19:53 MST 2006

I have a Motorola Razr successfully connected to asterisk using a
bluetooth dongle and chan_bluetooth.  Here's some issues I've run
across:

- You have to ignore the instructions in bluetooth.conf, saying to run
"sdptool search --bdaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx 0x111F" to determine the
correct channel to use for your phone.  My phone reported Channel 7,
but will not work with anything other than Channel 3.  I would
recommend trying channel 3 first, then trying what sdptool suggests,
then starting at 1 and working your way up until it works.

- CallerID is not passed to asterisk.  The CLI shows that
chan_bluetooth is indeed getting the cid information, but the cid
remains blank.  Here's a sample of what I get during an incoming call
on the cellphone (number has been changed, obviously):

Feb  6 05:48:01 NOTICE[29681]:
/usr/src/asterisk-test/bluetooth/chan_bluetooth/chan_bluetooth.c:1723
ag_unsol_clip: Parsed '+CLIP: "16155551212",129' number='16155551212'
type='129' name=''
 [AG]   Motorola > +CLIP: "16155551212",129

Is this working for anyone?  Maybe something changed in recent
asterisk versions (I'm running 1.2.1) such as a variable name for
callerid?  This info is not getting passed on to asterisk, so if
anyone calls I won't know who they are.  Not a big issue, I won't be
giving this number out to anyone, but it may be an issue for some.  If
DTMF worked between cellphones, then this would be semi-urgent for me,
as I have to get the caller's callerid information to make sure
they're allowed DISA access.  Since DTMF is NOT working between
cellphones for me, then I have users call a regular line first, which
can detect callerid just fine, will record the number they want to
call, then call them back.

- There's no way (that I can tell) to limit the number of calls using
chan_bluetooth.  This is a pretty big issue for me.  Right now if
someone is connected to the cellphone next to Asterisk, and someone
else also tries to connect, Asterisk will happily send the dial
command, causing the cellphone to call that number (and abrubtly
putting the other call on hold).  I really need to limit the calls
(incoming and outgoing) to a total of one.  That way if Asterisk tries
to call out on the phone that's already on a call, it'll just jump
+101 (or the call will fail, either scenario is preferable to the
current situation).

- Also, don't forget to enable auto-answer on your cellphone when
using a headset.  Otherwise when you get an incoming call, Asterisk
will think it picked it up and happily proceed, but in reality the
phone is just continuously ringing.  The cellphone needs to
automatically answer the call in order for asterisk to actually handle
it.

- May just be a quirk with my setup, but any calls using the
bluetooth-connected cellphone that either originate or are terminated
on the local asterisk system, have bad static on one side.  If I call
from a cellphone here, have it connect to the cellphone connected to
asterisk, and call a number that rings to my local asterisk system,
the cellphone gets bad static (but the person on the regular phone
hears perfect audio).  If I call from a regular phone connected to my
asterisk system, and that call gets routed out the cellphone connected
via bluetooth, then I hear everything fine but the other end hears bad
static.  It's an annoyance more than anything, just means I have to
pay 1cent a minute for long distance during nights and weekends
instead of getting them free.  Note that this setup works perfect,
with no static (but perhaps a slight bit of lag) when we use a
cellphone on the road, connected to the cellphone next to asterisk,
calling an external number.  This is what my main use is, so it's not
a big deal, but might be worth looking into.

- Last note, anyone who is setting up a system similar to mine, and
having to work around the no-dtmf tones, note that when using a
callback script it will call the second party as soon as it gets an
answer.  Whether you pick up your cellphone or voicemail picks up,
it'll consider your end answered and then call the other party.  Just
a note in case you use your setup to call someone, then decide you'd
rather not (after it's too late) and just ignore the incoming call; as
soon as your voicemail kicks in, asterisk calls the person you wanted
to dial, and they'll likely just hear dead-air or the tail-end of your
voicemail message, and may be upset that your voicemail is calling
them for no apparent reason.

Joseph Tanner