[Asterisk-Users] BAD/GOOD Echo Cancel

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Mon Feb 6 04:03:12 MST 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 21:46 +1100, James Harper wrote:
> Just an enquiring mind wanting to know, but how is a hardware solution
> different to a software solution? The echo cancellers in the Digium
> hardware presumably just use the same sort of algorithms as the software
> versions, so it is just that they are dedicated and perform better, that
> they are closer to the source of the echo, or some other thing that I've
> overlooked?

Generally  they use the same algorithms, I do not know if they do infact
use exactly the same or not.

There was a presentation that I missed most of from Sangoma at ETEL that
talked about this.  They werent specifically talking about their echo
cancelers when I walked in, but hardware vs software in general.  I wish
that I had heard more of it.  The parts I did hear ended up being the
buffering that is done to detect echos and how that varies somewhat.

google might be of help finding a comparison between the two and why one
might be better than the other.

Again, I know Sangoma is a sore subject with some on this list, but the
echo cancelation stuff I heard while presented by a Sangoma employee was
not Sangoma specific, although it did include some research into
different hardware/software based cancelers.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378