[Asterisk-Users] Re: delaying "answer" for a number of rings or an amount

Joseph Tanner joseph at thetechguide.com
Sun Feb 5 04:28:40 MST 2006

> > Here's a step-by-step of what happens below:
> > 1 - a call comes in and Asterisk rings SIP/Brian and SIP/joe for 30 seconds.
>
> So you don't want Asterisk to wait and see if the POTS line is picked up
> before ringing the SIP phones?  Interesting.

If it's anything like my setup, Asterisk handles ALL calls, whether
from sip, iax, or zap.  So when the zap line rings, asterisk will ring
your internal sip phone(s), and if the call isn't picked up after so
many seconds, it'll stop ringing the internal lines and go straight to
voicemail.  No phones are connected directly to the POTS line, just asterisk.

The only downside to this approach, is the caller will hear about two
rings before you beging to hear anything (takes asterisk that long to
see the call, check for callerid, then start ringing your internal
lines).  My solution is to have a quick greeting played to the caller,
then they hear ringing again when the internal lines ring.  Also gives
me a chance to force callers to press "1" if I don't recognize their
callerid, stops telemarketers dead in their tracks (those auto-dialing
machines that ring you and either hang up after you pick up, or tell
you to stay on the line for an important message, will not know to
dial 1 first and will be hung up on).

> > 2 - After 30 seconds if the line is still ringing (nobody picked up POTS phone or SIP phones) * answers the line and sends to Voicemail. Asterisk never picks up the call until the 30 seconds are up.
>
> What seems to be happening here is that even if somebody picks up the
> POTS line within a few seconds, after the 30 seconds (Wait() in my case,
> but I'd imagine the same will happen after ringing the SIP lines for
> 30s) is up Asterisk is also on the POTS line (with the callee who picked
> up the POTS phone) doing the voicemail intro and recording the
> conversation.

Again, give everyone in your home/office a phone connected to asterisk
(whether it's a sip/iax phone, or a regular phone connected to an ATA,
or what have you).  Any call that comes in will go through asterisk.
Then you won't have to worry about having it detect if a POTS line was
picked up directly, if you have it pass the call to an internal phone,
it'll know if that phone picked up or not, and will know whether to
pass it to voicemail or not.

Joseph Tanner