[Asterisk-Users] hardware and network requirements

Chris Bagnall asterisk at minotaur.cc
Sat Feb 4 16:39:20 MST 2006

> i'm planning to migrate a callcenter to asterisk and VOIP,
> the call center can have up to 25 cuncurrents agents logged in.
> Can a normal server with
> 1 GB ram
> 100 GB HDD
> Pentium 4 3.6 Ghz CPU
> Ethernet 10/100/1000

One of our clients has a similar sized setup running on an Athlon64 2800+
(2.2Ghz I think), 1GB RAM, 2x80GB HDDs in RAID1.

You don't say how the calls are coming in, but I'd try and keep transcoding
to a minimum. if they're coming from a PRI (i.e. alaw or ulaw) and you want
to keep them that way down to the users, 25 concurrent calls @ 80kbps-ish is
only 2mbps, so even a 100mbps LAN is fine for the task.

Personally, I build our asterisk boxes rather than buying off-the-shelf
servers, but I doubt it makes much difference one way or t'other. Go with
whichever approach you feel most comfortable.

Regards,

Chris