[Asterisk-Users] (newby) Is PING a good indicator of latency?

Chris Mason (Lists) lists at masonc.com
Wed Feb 1 15:11:15 MST 2006

Cosmin Prund wrote:
> As the subject line says: Is PING a good indicator of network latency? If
> not, how can I measure latency?

The most effective visual indication of network reliability in as far as
it relates to VOIP is an application called smokeping. The graphs show
latency as shadows over the ping response which is shown as colours. You
can see latency, variation in latency, and packet loss in one easy
display, over 3 hours, 1 day, 1 week.
I can show you this in action is you email me privately.

--
Chris Mason
NetConcepts
Yahoo IM: netconcepts_anguilla at yahoo.com