[Asterisk-Users] No Audio on Local Machine, Remote works fine

Hadar Pedhazur hadar at unorthodox.com
Wed Feb 1 14:16:22 MST 2006

I don't even know where to begin.

I run a lot of production Asterisk servers, for a couple of years now,
with no real problems.

We built a brand new box, CentOS 4.2, and installed Asterisk 1.2.4 from
source tarball(s). Built fine, and started up fine.

Any attempts to do local audio (e.g. a "Playback(welcome)") results in
complete silence. Worse, the Playback command will hang forever (even if
the file is tiny), so it's not just "not being heard", it's like the
command is waiting to do something.

In one specific case (and only in case), I'll hear a 1/2 second burst of
audio, like it's about to start, and then dead air.

The "Record" command creates a zero length file if the format is ulaw,
and hangs forever after that, and a "wav" format is always 44 bytes
before the hang.

If I run the "demo-echo-test", I don't hear the prompt, and it hangs on
the Playback.

OK, now for the weirdness ;-). If I connect this Asterisk to one of our
other servers, and dial the echo test on the remote server through this
same server, I hear the prompts, and can hear my voice echoed correctly,
so this same Asterisk server will happily forward the audio in both
directions, it just won't "generate" it. This is with "notransfer=yes",
so this Asterisk is staying in the audio stream.

I'm stumped, and any help or pointers in the right direction will be
greatly appreciated.