[Asterisk-Users] (newby) IAX Trunk on low bandwidth connection

Cosmin Prund cosmin at adicomsoft.ro
Wed Feb 1 05:11:25 MST 2006

Hello everyone, this is my first post to the list, so hello again.

We're a small company in Romania and we're trying to set up a really small
version of "call center". That is, we want to get a few land-lines from our
telco in different countys and "bridge" all calls to our HQ, in order to
make it cheeper for our clients to call us.

Unfortunatelly there's no ISP in our area that can deliver a broadband
connection for anything less then an arm and a leg, so we're considering
runing an * <-> * connection using VoIP over a low bandwidth connection
(we're considering 128kbit but we might be able to go to 256kbit).

The bandwidth price is not a problem for our "satelite" installations, we
cand get acceptably priced broadband (~256kbit) so the distant *'s will have
propper connections.

My question:

Is 128kbit a wide enough connection for 1 simultaneous conversation, using
IAX protocol with the comercial version of the g729 codec?

I'm expecting this to be engough for more then 1 conversation (after all a
single line analog connection is rated at 64kbit and I'm getting double that
bandwidth)

Cosmin Prund