[Asterisk-Users] 5,000 concurrent calls system rollout question

Joash Herbrink Joash.Herbrink at Kahuna.nl
Wed Feb 1 02:43:44 MST 2006

Still,

Everybody is using T1 / E1 interfaces in servers.
I would go for purpose build voice gateways.
Vegastream or cisco GW are able to handle multiple T1/E1 connections
easily. (make sure that in a cisco GW you get enough DSP capacity)

In this scenario the asterisk server is just used to make sure everybody
gets connected to each other.

I a + 5000 call setup I would say some money is available to buy the
dedicated voice gateways.

I would go for the vegastream 400 series. Use 2 of them to prevent than
all your PSTN connections are terminated in one machine.

These kind of setups work with my customers (not 5000 concurrent calls)
but we do have connected over 3000 phones to the Asterisk server in some
locations.

You can then use a good management GUI like scopserv (be sure to mention
my name :-) :-) ) (www.scopserv.com) to manage you're asterisk servers
in a easy way (and also keep configs synchronized)

You will still be a hell of a lot cheaper then a cisco callmanager
setup, and get far more performance and features then cisco will ever be
able to offer you.

Joash