[Asterisk-Users] RE: Euro-ISDN

Aldo Bergamini aab.lists at nb-a.com
Wed Feb 1 02:08:02 MST 2006

asterisk-users-request at lists.digium.com is believed to have said:

>> While we are at the subject another couple of simple related question.
>>
>> Are HFC-S cards active? I got one for a very low price, so that I
>> imagine it will be NOT the case...
>
>No, these cards are passive. The protocol handling must be done by
>the hosts CPU / driver.

OK; price sometimes tells the truth...

>> What cards do support operation of an ISDN phone set? (I imagine there
>> will be something similar to the FXS-FXO stuff of the analog world in
>> the ISDN land).
>
>For that you need cards operated in NT-mode. The driver / protocol must
>support this, but the card too.
>HFC-S cards do as far as I know (I don't know if all do).

Fine; I looked into the capi.conf file, but (my lack of knowledge!) I
did not understand if there is any setting to tell the driver to operate
a card in NT-mode.

So, does the newest (which I have anyways to download for the next
release of our pbx) capi driver support NT mode?

>When talking about active cards, I only know of Eicon cards
>supporting this.

Well, in the end it's an option to take into consideration.

One and a half years ago as I started learning about Asterisk I had an
option to buy Eicon cards, but I was unsure about my ability to cope
with the complexity of learning the needed bits to get started.

So I bought an AVM card....

Today the situation changed somewhat: may be time for the next step.

>Armin

Thanks a lot
Aldo