[asterisk-users] Checking voicemail from outside

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Thu Dec 28 22:50:27 MST 2006

Or more likely the tone may not be getting to asterisk. What FXO are you
using? External FXO's like the SPA3000 often need to be set to 'inband'
DTMF - both in sip.config and in the device's config and be sure to
restart Asterisk after doing this..

Easiest way to test this is to call yourself from your cell and see if you
can hear the DTMF tones on the Asterisk side as you enter them on your
cell. If you can not hear them then Asterisk won't decode them!

This is also necesssary for outgoing FXO calls to enable use of external
IVR's like banking and business voice menus.

There is much about this on this list in the past and in Asterisk bug
reports. It is not exactly clear where the problem lies but it appears to
be a combination of Asterisk and the SPA3000. This might be fixed in
version 1.4 but I have not heard any reports as yet.

Doug