[asterisk-users] Re: Number forwarding and porting?

Allen Casteran allen at nisinc.com
Tue Dec 26 21:36:30 MST 2006

Lorell Hathcock wrote:
> I am looking to move cell phone providers.  I have acquired the new cell
> phone and LOVE my new number but want to keep the old number as well.
> The new provider only will allow me to use one number or the other.
> They will port the old number if I want, but will keep my new number if
> I ask them to port the old one.
>
> Where can I go to get the old number ported from my old provider (the
> account is still active) and have it forwarded on to my new number (for
> cheap)?

Cell phones can only have one number attached to them (at least in the
US). You can port any US number to any other local phone line within the
same rate center (local switch area). Cellular phones can accept ANY US
number. You pay a charge for LNP features on every bill so the carrier
can not refuse unless it is to a land line out of the area of the number.

If you want both numbers to ring to your cell phone you can get a
carrier to do a call forward. CLEC's or call centers are best for this.
They port the number from your old cell carrier and program your old
number to forward all calls to your new cell number. Your outbound calls
will have to carry the caller ID of the number assigned to your cell
phone. They can not use the call forward number for the outbound caller ID.

If you have local phone service check with that carrier for their call
forward options.  Otherwise check with a few answering service companies
in your area.

Allen.