[asterisk-users] Escalate Call To Mobile

Jerry jerry at voiptower.com
Sun Dec 24 11:11:16 MST 2006

> Thanks, this it seems was what the problem was. Is it possible to
> specify number of rings instead of timeout in seconds?

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: kind of.

As alluded to here:
> Also the timeout to Dial is in SECONDS, not RINGS.  In the USA a ring
> cycle is about 6 seconds.

You can approximate how many rings have happened. But, the indication that
is sent to you (the ring you hear when you are calling someone) isn't
synced with ringing of the target phone (which has to do with the far end
ring generator, if I recall right), there is no way to be sure.

So, at the end of six seconds of "ringing", you are sure that the phone
has rung at least once. It might not have started until late in the cycle,
or you might have caught the tail end of one cycle and it's already
starting to ring a second time.

So, if you wanted to make sure it rings 5 times (in the USA), you have to
let it ring for a minimum of 30 seconds.

If it's easier, you could set this up as a variable called RINGCYCLE and
just multiply your rings by it, like so:

exten => _NXXNXXXXXX,1,SetVar(RINGCYCLE=6)
exten => _NXXNXXXXXX,2,Dial(Sip/Provider/{EXTEN},$[${RINGCYCLE}*2])

(I think you could make RINGCYCLE a global var, but check to be sure).

Hope that helps,
J.