[asterisk-users] How accurate is show translation?

Leo Ann Boon leo at datvoiz.com
Sat Dec 23 19:20:28 MST 2006

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> If you had just one call, then adding extra CPUs wouldn't have helped.
>
> 'show translations' mainly helps you compare different codecs. It is
> also handy as a benchmark because it's there. However

I agree with you that with 1 call, more CPU won't help. I'm just
surprised that a 3GHz CPU is not much faster than a 1.3GHz CPU. I'm
actually trying to find an analytical model to dimension an asterisk
box. I need to transcode 120 channels of IAX (speex) into g711 to fed
into 4xE1. My current guesstimation is a single Intel D930 should be up
to the job. Without hard numbers, it's not very convincing. This is one
aspect of asterisk that's annoying - you can't size a system reliably
without resorting to lots of empirical testing. IMHO, this usually leads
to over-engineering which drives up the cost.

Regards and happy holidays.

Leo
'In God we trust, others must have numbers.'