[asterisk-users] Re: Help with silence or gating of speech?

Bryan M. Johns bryan at sheltonjohns.com
Fri Dec 22 07:31:56 MST 2006

On Dec 22, 2006, at 3:56 AM, Tony Mountifield wrote:

> In article <0ed301c7255b$542a2bd0$2800a8c0 at office>,
> Robert Jenkins <raj at jrw.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm using Asterisk (1.2.13) on Centos 4.4 x86_64 with a TDM2400E
>> for analog
>> trunks (& extensions) plus some Polycom 501 & 601 phones.
>>
>> I have a problem in that the audio via the Polycoms is gated or
>> muted during
>> quiet parts of the other person's speech.
>
> I'm not familiar with the Polycoms, but I would guess that they
> have some
> kind of web-based setup screens. Look for "silence suppression" or
> "VAD
> (voice activity detection)" and set it to Off or Disabled.
>
> Otherwise you could try visiting http://bugs.digium.com/view.php?
> id=5374
> and apply the patch 2005-10-04-3-asynchronous.patch
>
> It's the patch to channel.c that is the important part.
>
> Cheers
> Tony
> --
> Tony Mountifield
> Work: tony at softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
> Play: tony at mountifield.org - http://tony.mountifield.org

The PolyCom handsets have lots of tune-able audio parameters that are
manipulated using the phone's configuration file.  Assuming that you
are using TFTP or FTP config distribution, these files are the
[phonemacaddress].cfg file and the master sip.cfg file.

I recommend looking through the settings available in these files and
maybe doing some research on the config of particular PolyCom models
at http://www.voip-info.org.  Backup your original configs before
making edits, though ;-).

I hope this is helpful.

Bryan M. Johns