[asterisk-users] Help with silence or gating of speech?

Robert Jenkins raj at jrw.co.uk
Thu Dec 21 16:54:16 MST 2006

Hi,

I'm using Asterisk (1.2.13) on Centos 4.4 x86_64 with a TDM2400E for analog
trunks (& extensions) plus some Polycom 501 & 601 phones.

I have a problem in that the audio via the Polycoms is gated or muted during
quiet parts of the other person's speech.

This results in the start of words being clipped and quiet sounds being lost
altogether. It would be OK if this was at a really low level, but it seems
to take a fair but of audio before anything gets through - even quieter
parts of 'on-hold' music from the trunk side are lost.

I've spent ages searching using numerous combinations of words and cannot
find any reference to this problem, or even figure out just what part of the
overall system is causing it..

Any help appreciated!

Robert Jenkins.