[asterisk-users] No music on hold?

Jerry jerry at voiptower.com
Wed Dec 20 19:30:05 MST 2006

> On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 08:30:27AM -0800, Kevin Trumbull wrote:
>> I already posted about this, but contrary to what is stated on the Wiki,
>> mpg123 is required (at least in 1.2.x) if you wish to use mp3's for your
>> MoH.
>>
>> I decided to go this route:
>> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/index.php?page=Asterisk+mpg123+faking+it

Kevin - thanks for that link. We're now using native slin for music on
hold, but it's a good resource. And thanks for pointing out the Wiki is
actually wrong on this. :)

> If you're not streaming the MP# from an external source, converting it
> off-line will always be cheaper. And it may even actually save you disk
> space, because mp3 files have a much higher quality than Asterisk
> requires.

Tzafir - both true, but I believe the OP was trying to play MP3's. It's
kind of silly that Asterisk includes mp3 files, and then there isn't a way
to play them. (There could be licence reasons for this, or another reason
I'm not aware of, but people will assume that MP3's work.) And, there is a
certain coolness factor in it "just working", of course.

Does format_mp3 only work properly in 1.4 then? I'll dig a bit and correct
the wiki, if I can find a definitive answer. (I thought it was working on
1.2, but I've installed a few 1.4 boxes recently for testing, so my
recollection could be of a 1.4 install).

Thanks,
J.