[asterisk-users] Dial own extension to get to voicemail.

Brad Templeton brad+aster at templetons.com
Wed Dec 20 13:32:27 MST 2006

On Wed, Dec 20, 2006 at 02:34:36PM -0500, Phil Finkler wrote:
> I've gotten this Polycom 501 pretty much licked, but I need to know if
> there's a way in a dialplan to say if someone dials their own extension
> it goes straight to voicemail and asks them for their password.  I
> thought I saw an example of this on the web but I can't seem to find it.
> Any advice appreciated!

You can do it, but it's more work than having an extension (the standard one
seems to be 86 now) that goes to:
        VoicemailMain(s${CALLERID(num)}@default);

(But only in a context where the callerid can be trusted.)

To do what you want, you would need to have your extension processing
macro test if CALLERID(num) = ${EXTEN}, and then invoke the above
expression instead of dialing the extension.