[asterisk-users] Re: Newbie Questions - Grandstorm phones?

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Tue Dec 19 11:01:59 MST 2006

Early dial is a real nice feature BUT it requires that you carefully plan
and design your extensions. Each digit is accepeted by Asterisk and if a
match exists up to that point it will be accepted and dialed.

As an example, my internal extensions are 4xx and my internal special
extensions are 5xx. I chose those because they do not conflict with local
area codes or other first 3 digit sequences.

However if a call come in from, say, area code 512 (without the 1
prepended), and I have a local 512 extension, I would not be able to dial
that person back. It would instead go to the local 512, as this is
satisfied first.

Often callerID does not come in with the 1 before the area code. This is
what prompted me to put code in to append a 1 if none existed on the
incoming callerID. With the 1 appended there is no problem as 151 does not
match any local extension and I can use redial without problems.

Using 4 digit extensions would mostly eliminate this problem although you
still could not use 1xxx extensions.

Wildcard extension matches like X. or using the '.' anywhere in the
matches would not work.

You just have to use it and fix things as they come up. I think I have
most all cases trapped now!

Doug

On Tue, 19 Dec 2006, Anthony Kepler wrote:

> Do you, Gordon or Doug, happen to place international calls with
> early-dial enabled?  What kind of extensions.conf magic do you work to
> allow this?
> I have been trying for some time to get this to work.  (My message from
> 2006.11.03 regarding this is quoted just below)
>
> > On 11/3/06, *Anthony Kepler* <anthony at jivanjeearch.com
> > <mailto:anthony at jivanjeearch.com>> wrote:I am trying to allow users to
> > place outgoing international calls from a
> > GXP-2000 with "early dial" enabled, connected to Asterisk 1.2.12.1
> > <http://1.2.12.1>
> > I have the following extension line:
> > exten => _011.,n,Dial(${TRUNK}/${EXTEN:${TRUNKMSD}})
> >
> > When I attempt to place a call to a number in, for instance, Kenya, I
> > dial "011254"...etc.
> > and I get this on the asterisk console:
> > Executing Dial("SIP/1001-081fb718", "Zap/g1/0112") in new stack
> >    -- Called g1/0112
> >
> > It is attempting to dial out as soon as it receives a single digit to
> > represent the "."
> > What I need is for it to wait a reasonable amount of time for additional
> > digits.
> > I have tried using set(TIMEOUT(digit)=5), and I see the following in the
> > asterisk console:
> >    -- Executing Set("SIP/1001-081fb718", "TIMEOUT(digit)=5") in new stack
> >    -- Digit timeout set to 5
> > However, this is printed far less than 5 seconds before the dial out
> > attempt.
> >
> > I assume there must be something relatively obvious I'm missing here...
> > if anyone can shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.
> >

> > Thank you,
> >    - Anthony Kepler
> >     anthony at jivanjeearch.com <mailto:anthony at jivanjeearch.com> | SIP/Email
>

> Gordon Henderson wrote:
> > On Sun, 5 Nov 2006, Doug Crompton wrote:
> >

> >> On the Budgetone 200 it is in the account tab settings of the web setup
> >> and it does work here with asterisk and my dialplans..
> >>

> > On the GPX2000's it's via the web interface under each of the 4 "Line"
> > configuration tabs. (so you'd have to set it on each account you were
> > using on the phone)
> >
> > Gordon
> >

> >> Doug

"Those that sacrifice essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."  -- Ben Franklin (1759)

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *
* doug at crompton.com        *