[asterisk-users] Need help getting started with asterisk

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Mon Dec 18 15:09:59 MST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 03:53:55PM -0600, Michael Sullivan wrote:
> Here's where I stand:
>
> camille asterisk # ztcfg -vv
>
> Zaptel Configuration
> ======================
>

> Channel map:
>
> Channel 01: FXS Kewlstart (Default) (Slaves: 01)
>
> 1 channels configured.
>
> camille*CLI> zap show status
> Description                              Alarms     IRQ        bpviol
> CRC4
> Wildcard X100P Board 1                   OK         0          0
> 0
> ZTDUMMY/1 1                              UNCONFIGUR 0          0
> 0

rmmod ztdummy, while you're at it.

> camille*CLI> zap show channels
>    Chan Extension  Context         Language   MusicOnHold
>  pseudo            from-pstn       en
> camille*CLI>
>
> I entered all the configuration the seller from ebay sent me
> into /etc/asterisk/zapata.conf and continues with the pdf file.  The pdf
> said to add the following lines to /etc/asterisk/extensions.conf:
>
> [incoming]
> ; incoming calls from the FXO port are directed to this context from
> zapata.conf
> exten => s,1,Answer( )
> exten => s,2,Echo( )
>

> This seemed strange to me because there was no incoming context
> explicitly declared in zapata.conf, but I added it to extensions.conf
> and restarted asterisk so that the new options would take effect.  I
> called my home number (the number that's going into my computer) from my
> cell phone.  I let it ring ten times.  Nothing.  I went back into
> extensions.conf and changed [incoming] to [from-pstn], restarted
> asterisk and tried again.  Same results.

next time use 'reload'

> What am I doing wrong?  Why
> won't asterisk pick up?  The pdf says it should...

You seem to be trying to follow installation instructions that assume a
number of things about your installation.

You can set the context in zapata.conf to 'incoming'

context = incoming

before the line 'channel => 1'

Anyway:

  show dialplan from-pstn