[asterisk-users] Boot load wcfxo does not configure self under Ubuntu 6

Tzafrir Cohen tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com
Sat Dec 16 15:00:37 MST 2006

On Fri, Dec 15, 2006 at 06:32:19PM -0800, Yuan LIU wrote:
> When booting Ubuntu 6.06.1 (Linux 2.6.15-27-386), wcfxo would load but not
> configure.  I have three ways to manually force wcfxo to configure: 1)
> ztcfg, 2) modprobe -f wcfxo, or of course 3) unload and reload wcfxo.  Each
> works equally well.

The usual confusion about init scripts. Debian's init scripts
automatically load the module for this card using "coldplug" (a run of
hotplug when the system starts).

However the modprobe of the module "fails" due to the silly automatic
run of ztcfg at module load tme with very stupid modprobe settings.

So as a workaround you unload and reload the module. Not smart, and has
a potential for races.

What is the output of:
  grep wcfxo /etc/modprobe.d/*

> As a workaround, now I have to put ztcfg in rc.local, which Debian doesn't
> favour.
>
> I had compiled the same zaptel under Ubuntu 5.02.0 on two different
> machines with same card and didn't have this problem.
>
> Anyone else experiencing the same?  As tempting as it is to blame
> /etc/modprobe.d, I figure that if a unload and reload wcfxo correctly
> configures the module, the method must be working.  Or has this anything to
> do with the debian_version note testing/unstable? (Ubuntu 6.06.1 is
> supposed to be a formal release.)

Ubuntu, being very wise, report the debian_version as "testing/unstable"
instead of selecting a version name of their own :-(

--
               Tzafrir Cohen
icq#16849755                    jabber:tzafrir at jabber.org
+972-50-7952406           mailto:tzafrir.cohen at xorcom.com