[asterisk-users] Bandwidth requirements for 1, 000, 000 minutes a month

Luki lugosoft at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 19:56:33 MST 2006

> So, my "peak" would need 4.5 mega-bits per second of bandwidth.
> Am I in the ballpark?

Sounds about right. Or the other way around (if you need to know the
peak bandwidth usage):

For audio:

1,000,000 minutes/month = 33,000 minutes/day
10% daily usage in 1 hour = 3,300 minutes used
3,300 minutes used in 60 minutes = 55 concurrent calls

80 kbps / 1 call direction * 55 calls = 4.4 Mbps per direction

Assuming full duplex audio, you need 4.4 Mbps in + 4.4 Mbps out per
call leg. If you route the call so each packet comes in and goes out
the network (2 call legs), then double the bandwidth.

I guess adding 0.1 Mbps for call setup and tear down is safe.

--Luki