[Asterisk-Users] Siemens Gigaset SL75

Alberto Pastore alberto at msoft-italia.com
Fri Dec 15 00:32:34 MST 2006

Joao Pereira ha scritto:
> Do you know if it has 802.1x authentication as it is defined in
> EDUroam (  http://www.eduroam.org/ )   ?
> I never found a WiFi phone working with 802.1x  I tested ZyXel
> Prestige 2000 but the sound was bad and it doesnt support 802.1x :(
>
> Thanks
> Joao Pereira

Well, I have not tested 802.1x with eap/radius so far,
but wpa/psk works quite well in a multi-AP roamed environment.
The phone definitely has 802.1x authentication,
at least that's what user guide and phone menus report.

So far, this is the best wi-fi phone I ever put my hands on
others phone I tested were (with my humble opinion on them):

Zyxel P2000  -> discrete but poor wi-fi options
Linksys WIP300 -> crappy, slow, freezing,
                  battery lasts less than 30' talking
UTStarcom F1000 -> sufficient, bad display/menus, poor audio
UTStarcom F1000G -> ultimate crap, firmware is really bad,
                    frequent disconnection from wifi net
Samsung WIP6000 -> good phone, but available in Italy
                   only as Telecom Italia rebranded and locked
                   plus it's a little too small, cellphone-like
Nokia eSeries (60,70) -> great smartphones but BAD BAD BAD sip stack
                         and/or wi-fi integration, hoping for a
                         fixing firmware update from nokia guys

On the contrary SL75 has:

- the right size for a cordless phone
- a comfortable charging cradle
- multilanguage interface (including Italian! yup!)
  & quick reference guide
- standard call functions (call waiting, hold, transfer
  3-way conference)
- a battery that lasts at least 2 hours talking
  (personally tested!)
- soft plastic case which should prolong the phone's life
  with absent-minded employees, in case of dropping
- good roaming features with manual setting of
  RSSI threshold
- the best price/performance ratio

What the phone really lacks is a TFTP-like automated
provisioning capability. Unfortunately, as far as I know
you can configure it only manually via web.

I'll be testing radius eap-md5 in the next few days.