[asterisk-users] Console latency

Yuan LIU yliu11 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 14 14:47:27 MST 2006

Another bizarry: If I run the Echo application from the console, I can hear
a very long delay (upward to 1,000 ms).  I can run the same application from
a GrandStream phone (on the same LAN) and hear little delay.  What could
possibly be wrong?  If it were interrupt overload, I'd hear lots of cracks
in my echo, right?  I'm not hearing that.  Besides, a telephony card is not
involved.

I'm running asterisk-1.2.13  and  zaptel-1.2.10 on Linux 2.6.15-27-386
(Ubuntu 6 distribution without X).  Hardware includes a P III 600 MHz, 386
MB RAM, an X100P card that's not part of this test (also used an X100P clone
card to same result), and a CS4239 sound card (ISA) with ALSA driver (also
tried with OSS to similar result but OSS had a harder time getting volume
up).  ALSA needed a bit of tweak to work properly with CS4239, but afer
carefully setting alsamixer, I don't hear much echo when making calls from
the console.

Yuan Liu