[asterisk-users] Web-MeetMe ready for prime time?

Dan Austin Dan_Austin at Phoenix.com
Thu Dec 14 11:02:02 MST 2006

Jeremy wrote:
> What kind of luck are people having with the Web-MeetMe control?  The
> condition of the page on the voip-info wiki makes me a bit nervous
about
> putting Web-MeetMe into a production environment.  Use of MeetMe has
> really taken off here since installation and I need a scheduling and
> provisioning system for PIN numbers etc.  Are there any other
solutions
> out there?

It is funny that you should ask now.  I've reworked quite a bit of the
code and have been waiting for Asterisk 1.4 to be released before I
announced the changes.  It is possible that I'll need to tweak the
code after 1.4 is ready (but I hope not too much)

After 1.4 is out there will be two 'supported' Web-MeetMe releases:
2.X.X for Asterisk 1.2
and
3.X.X for Asterisk 1.4

The reason for maintaining two versions relates to changes in the
Asterisk CLI, and a single WMM release would have to have extra,
likely fragile, code to support both.

Changes and new features in the yet to be released updates:

*  No longer needs register_globals
*  Replaced the DB abstraction layer with PEAR:DB
	This opens up the possibility of a much wider choice
	of backend databases. but the Asterisk schedular
	application is still MySQL only (I might be able to
	migrate it to ODBC later)
*  Some cosmetic re-work
*  Better installation instructions and release notes
*  The 3.X chain also has a very basic report generator.
	It is a little crude as I am learning GD-Lib as I go.

The project is now hosted on SourceForge and while it has not
seen a lot of updates recently, is still active.

I have had the 2.1.0 release in production on three moderatly
loaded production servers for close to one year.  I am aware of
a number of much larger installations, which I can only hope will
share their experiences.

Dan